Re: MOD_PLSQL and cookies - when available to the server?

From: Mark C. Stock <mcstockX_at_Xenquery>
Date: Mon, 14 Nov 2005 21:55:56 -0500

"Andy Hardy" <junkmail@[127.0.0.1]> wrote in message news:HsTWvQBi+PeDFAEH@[127.0.0.1]...
> In message <dlaqst$vbc$1_at_news6.zwoll1.ov.home.nl> , Frank van Bortel
> <frank.van.bortel_at_gmail.com> writes
>>Andrew Hardy wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I'm looking at a mod_plsql-based application which uses cookies to store
>>> session identifiers that link to a table of session information.
>>>
>>> At the moment, the application sets the cookie during a user
>>> (lightweight i.e. not a true database user) logon in the 'welcome'
>>> screen.
>>>
>>> Various screens read the cookie to determine who they're talking to,
>>> etc.
>>>
>>> I'd like to create a simple URL that allows a non-interactive access to
>>> an existing procedure. Although I can create a simple procedure that can
>>> check passed logon details and set the cookie, subsequent procedures do
>>> not seem to be able to see the cookie.
>>>
>>> Is this because the cookie has not been sent back to the browser yet
>>> (i.e. I haven't got the 'welcome' return to browser)? Or... am I doing
>>> something wrong and cookies that have been created by the server should
>>> be accessible even if the HTTP has not been returned to the client
>>> browser? Or... something else!
>>>
>>> Environments to be supported are 8.1.7.4 and 10gR2.
>
> [snip]
>
>>Your clients browser handles cookies, so if you do not send
>>a screen (HTML) *with* cookies, you can *never* request a
>>cookie back on subsequent screens.
>
> OK, pretty much as I thought - I had hoped that Oracle might have the
> cookie in some sort of a buffer prior to sending.
>
>>And -without knowing the application- I'd seriously look into
>>global temporary tables (not an 8i feature, iirc)
>>

> GTTs are in 8i, but I'm not sure how this would help me?
>
> Thanks for your reply,
> --
> Andy Hardy. PGP ID: 0xA62A4849

presumably you're using OWA_COOKIE.SEND to set the cookie

is OWA_COOKIE.GET not retrieving the value?

what's your code look like?

also, regarding GTTs, that would not be applicable for a web app, since GTTs are are session-specific and would not preserve the state from the browwer-session perspective, just from the database-connection perspective, and connections are shared by multiple browser-sessions.

++ mcs Received on Mon Nov 14 2005 - 20:55:56 CST