Re: Oracle 10g on Windows

From: <fitzjarrell_at_cox.net>
Date: 14 Nov 2005 10:23:32 -0800

Comments embedded.
Randy Harris wrote:
> I'll be migrating some 8i and 9i databases down the road, so I've just begun
> to learn 10g. I installed the server on a windows box and created a new
> database with dbca. The dbca requires, and this is supported in the
> documentation, that the instance be allocated a minimum of 40% of physical
> RAM. It seems that this would make it ineffective to create more than one or
> two databases on a system.

I do not understand why more than one instance would be necessary on a given server as multiple schemas would be the accepted route to take. Are you telling us these 8i and 9i databases all reside on a single server?

> Am I misinterpreting something here,

Yes.

> or does this mean that 10g represents
> something of a paradigm shift for Oracle?

No.

> Is the message that a server
> should only support one database?

Basically, yes, and it's been that way for years.

> Or, are they telling me that Windows is a
> poorly suited platform for Oracle?

I've run telecommunication databases on Windows overseas for years, many of them heavily used, and have seen little in the way of strange behaviour outside of the usual Windows O/S stunts Microsoft likes to pull or the unique 'management actions' non-DBA project managers like to take to 'improve performance'. So, no, Windows is not necessarily a 'poorly suited platform for Oracle'. There are better platforms (linux, Solaris, HP/UX come to mind) but Windows is not unsuitable for such use.

The question to ask is: What business requirement would be satisfied by creating multiple instances on a single server? As I asked before are these 8i and 9i databases currently on a single server? If not, why do you feel the need to cram X number of instances on a single server when X number of schemas within one instance might be better? If separate instances are necessary, why the intent to overload a single box with them?

Think about what you're trying to do, and then answer the questions before you. Only then can viable solutions be suggested.

David Fitzjarrell Received on Mon Nov 14 2005 - 12:23:32 CST