Re: Trigger cursor interrogation

From: Paul Byrne <nospam_at_nospam.com>
Date: Mon, 14 Nov 2005 12:37:55 +0000

Oracle Version 9.2.0.1.0 (Linux)

Thanks for the response (also Sybrand)

We have a browser based workflow application that lets the user customise the on-screen forms by adding new elements. These are then added to the database with 'alter table add column'. So for any form there are fixed elements in a fixed table that are known and user added elements in a key linked child table which are unknown. For arguments sake lets call them:

   emp: fixed elements
   emp_extra user added elements

We have an auditing procedure called from a row level trigger that does high-level auditing of database activity on the _extra table. It must compare each of the :old and :new elements and note discrepencies.

Now getting the list of column names is easy, just query USER_TAB_COLUMNS, but how do you access the column value using :new and :old with a variable column name?