Oracle 10g using SAN

From: JW <jw_at_abc.com>
Date: Mon, 14 Nov 2005 06:45:01 GMT

Hi there,

I have a few questions about using SAN on Oracle 10g. In our existing database setup, we have two databases using 10g on two different window2003 server. We have drive C, D, E, F, G on each server node, where

C: Oracle Home
D: Data FIle (200G)
E: Index Files (200G)
F: Redo Log FIles
G: RMAN Backup files and Archived Redo Log Files

We are moving to SAN environment using CLARiiON CX500 DPE. The SAN will be accessed by both Server nodes using Fibre Channel. I am looking for advices to discuss with the SAN vendor how to set it up.

As far as I know, I need to setup two "smaller SAN" within the SAN box so that they each would be consisting of different physical drives. This way, the loading from one server would not affect the other. (from James Morle's Sane SAN)

 How about the data and index files, can I put them in one logical volume (LUN) ?

 Do I need to put the Redo, Control file in another LUN ?

Can I have another LUN to house the Archived Redo Log and RMAN backup files from both datadabses ?

Should I purt the Oracle Home in the SAN or C drive ?

Or should I copy the same current disk structure, that is configure the SAN to have D, E, F, G volume and house the database files the same way we have now ? I don't know if we can get the SAN benefit this way.

Thanks.

JW Received on Mon Nov 14 2005 - 00:45:01 CST