Re: Which tower?

From: Andreas Sheriff <spamcontrol_at_iion.com>
Date: Sun, 13 Nov 2005 02:26:24 -0800

<jbmorla_at_gmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> What I want to do is get the database splitted over three disks, one of
> them removable, and test backup/recovery procedures if I remove one
> Raided disk while a lot of transactions and a few long queries are
> running.
> So I need a case tower with 5 slots, 4 for the disks ( 3 Raids and 1
> redo) and 1 for the DVD unit.
> At the end of the day, my customers are always on Raid 5 or Raid S, I'm
> an external consultant so I can't change that.
> I need the name of the tower case, which brand, which model.
> Many thanks for your replies, I've learned a lot thanks to you.
>
> Beaujolais Day J-9 ;-)

Let me get this straight... Because I'm slow sometimes and can't really read straight.

You're going to put the redo logs (because you have to have at least 2) on one disk? No redundancy or separation?

Please, please, please, do some research on external arrays. And I agree with the previous recommendation of using ASM. ASM has fault tolerance and rebalancing capabilities built in (though I've read that even software raid is faster than ASM), that is, assuming that you're going to install Oracle 10.1 and up (don't forget support and updates!).

If you must stick with your tower, use a USB or firewire DVD, install another SATA card and fill that up with as many disks as you can muster. Use two disks configured as RAID 1 for the OS and Oracle software., and use the rest in ASM. Split them down the middle as faliure group 1 and failure group 2.

And, please don't tell me you're using Windows for the OS...

--

Andreas Sheriff
Oracle 9i Certified Professional

DO NOT REPLY TO THIS EMAIL