Re: Where is the executable code of a trigger stored in the DBMS?

From: HansF <News.Hans_at_telus.net>
Date: Sat, 12 Nov 2005 15:29:52 GMT

On Sat, 12 Nov 2005 06:47:28 -0800, Leigh Williams wrote:

> When you say the "shared pool", do you mean the database buffer? If
> not, what is the shared pool? I have never come across this term in
> studying the Oracle DBMS architecture.

The Concepts manual is a significant source of information when studying Oracle architecture. Check chapter 7 of the Concepts manual. You mention Oracle9i - the link to Shared Pool section is given as (watch wrap) http://download-west.oracle.com/docs/cd/B10501_01/server.920/a96524/c08memor.htm#8601

Original question - where is the executable store? ALso discussed in the Concepts manual (CHapter 12 - Triggers). Three parts to this:

  1. The source is stored in the SYSTEM tablespace and is exposed to us through '???_TRIGGERS' in the 'TRIGGER_BOBY' column
  2. The compiled for is stored in the SYSTEM tablespace but is not made available to anyone - used only internally
  3. At run time, it is loaded into the shared pool, as described in the Concepts manual section titled "PL/SQL Program Units and the Shared Pool", quoted here

"
Oracle processes PL/SQL program units (procedures, functions, packages, anonymous blocks, and database triggers) much the same way it processes individual SQL statements. Oracle allocates a shared area to hold the parsed, compiled form of a program unit. Oracle allocates a private area to ...
"

--
Hans Forbrich
mailto: Fuzzy.GreyBeard_at_gmail.com