Re: Need help creating a database

From: Joel Garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: 11 Nov 2005 09:33:06 -0800

Randy Harris wrote:
> I found the problem. Despite being embarrassed to admit what I found, I
> figure everyone deserves an explanation.
>
> A script supplied by a software vendor, that was supposed to create a new
> database for his application, overwrote the sqlnet.ora file. This is what it
> put in it:
>
> SQLNET.AUTHENTICATION_SERVICES = (NTS)
>
> I'd like to supply answers to the questions I figure you likely would ask:
>
> Yes, the server is Unix (Solaris)
> Yes, the script was supposed to be for Unix (it was named
> build_files_unix.pl)
> Yes, I'm the idiot that ran it (I wasn't too concerned about it scrweing up
> a new database, it didn't occur to me that it could cause "server level"
> problems)
> Yes, it took me nearly 3 days to find the problem (until I found the cause,
> I didn't make the connection betweent the vendor supplied script and the
> authentication problem)
>
> To everyone that offered help, please accept my sincere thanks. The solution
> ended up being pretty simple, but the problem caused me some severe grief.
>
> Randy Harris

Thanks for the update Randy, it can help people in the future. Some of us feel silly we didn't think of that. I'm curious what clued you to it, guessing you were looking around to see what changed (which is an obvious first thing to ask).

Lesson that should be learned: read and understand scripts from the outside world - before you run them.

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.
Kenny Hill, foreman of the jury that convicted the three, said he was

"I would like to know what we did wrong," Hill said. "Our decision was
based on the instructions that he gave us. How did we misinterpret
those instructions?"

Hill said he respects Miller, but he was offended by the implication
that the jury didn't understand the proceedings or democracy. He noted
that most jurors were college-educated and a few had master's degrees.

"We were not a bunch of idiots. We thought very carefully about this,"
he said.

"It's like we were allowed to play judge as long as we make a decision
the judge agrees with. What's the point then? I don't want to play-act
the role. He's supposed to be judged by a jury of his peers. If we
followed (the judge's) instructions, and we did, it should stand."

>From Union-Tribune story about judge throwing out some of jury's
convictions, because a reasonable jury wouldn't have convicted based on the evidence presented.