Re: changing SYSTEM-tablespace to automatic segment-space management

From: Moritz Klein <mklein_at_students.uni-mainz.de>
Date: Fri, 11 Nov 2005 17:29:36 +0100

Eric de Redelijkheid schrieb:

> Why should your system tablespace be set to automatic space management
> if you don't know the difference with manual space management?

That said I do know the difference between automatic and manual space management. I did ask out of wondering why i got this advice.

> With manual space management, the tables have all the old storage
> proparties such as pctused, initial extent, next extent, etc. With
> automatic segment space management, oracle takes care of most of this
> automaticly, except pctfree.

> Since in the system tablespace only tables and indexes from sys and
> system should be there, I wonder why bother?

I bother because OEM is telling me I should bother, but I was wondering about why SYSTEM would benefit from automatic space management, maybe it's just a general advice that's not tuned to exclude SYSTEM from the advise. What I am curious about is, that I did not decide at initial install (10.1.0.2) that SYSTEM should manual space management. I took the standard setting as proposed by Oracle and one release later it's telling me that I should change it??? Strange situation, but what the heck, easy to ignore this advice.

> And I don't think it's possible to alter the storage parameters of a
> locally managed tablespace, let alone system, without doing a full
> export, drop the tablespace (in your case the entire database) and doing
> a full import.

If that's what I'm looking at I certainly won't change to automatic space management. In OEM it states the tablespace has to be reorganized, so if I want the tablespace to be operational I have to do a online reorganization. Anyway this seems to much uncertainty to deal with for now.

Thanks for your answer,

    Moritz Received on Fri Nov 11 2005 - 10:29:36 CST