Re: Need help creating a database

From: Joel Garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: 10 Nov 2005 14:09:36 -0800

Randy Harris wrote:
> "Randy Harris" <randy_at_SpamFree.com> wrote in message
>
> Weelll... I have good news and bad news.
>
> The problem is with the system (or Oracle server). It has nothing to do with
> the new database.
>
> I know this because, out of desperation, I rebooted the system. None of the
> databases came back up. Something has changed on the system since the last
> time it was booted. I can't figure out what. I'm in deep doo-doo.

Well, Daniel has the right answer, but maybe we can still muddle around and figure this out. Please forgive me if things are in slightly different places than I say, my brain has been hp'ized and all this is off the top of my head.

First of all, there should be a log of the bootup, perhaps called something like rc.log. There may be several run levels defined, sometimes admins will put oracle in a higher run level than the default boot-up, intending to manually increase the run level to get Oracle going. Others decide to just bring up Oracle manually. Either way, there might be an init.d/oracle somewhere (perhaps under /etc, perhaps under /sbin), which is pointed to by links from directories that list what comes up in each level. For example, there might be .../rc3.d/S*oracle, where ... means whereever your runlevel directories are, 3 means run level 3, S is for start (and K would be kill for the shutdown, one level off) and * is a numeric indicator so they get ordered correctly. So you might try a command like

  find /etc /sbin -name "*oracle*" -exec ll {} \;

to look for such things. Also, look in /var/opt or /etc for things like oraenv, which would be a program to properly condition your environment (maybe that's what you problem was before...) from oratab (which should list all your instances). It is also possible that some fancy-schmancy admin did something like nfs mount generalized home directories - this can get very confusing to the novice.

Rather than reinstalling oracle, you might want to go through the oracle installation manual as if you were installing oracle, checking all the kernel parameters and such.

Which brings up a thought - who installed all this stuff, anyways? They didn't do anything trick like copy an installation from another computer, perchance?

Look for your alert log with

  find / -name "alert*log"

it may take a while. This may give you a clue as to whether you are using OFA, maybe you need to set ORACLE_BASE.

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.
"Biologically speaking, if something bites you, it's more likely to be