Re: (S)PFiles in genaral [Oracle 9i] (Newbie)

From: Eric de Redelijkheid <ericdere_at_xs4all.nl>
Date: Thu, 10 Nov 2005 19:14:16 +0100

Anno Domini 10-11-2005 18:33, Joachim Hofmann sprak aldus:

> Hello,
>
> I read on (S)Pfiles in a book, but I think I didnt get this topic.
> Some databases seem to have a text pfile including the parameters
> and some only have a binary spfile.
>
> (1) What is the main difference between a "normal" init file and a
> sp-initfile?
>
> (2) How do I decide if the database has to work with a "normal" init
> file or a
> spinit-File?
>
> I did a BACKUP of a spfile with a playground database as described in
> the Backup
> and Recovery Manual:
>
> SQL>CREATE PFILE = 'initmydb.ora.bak' FROM SPFILE;
>
> The format seems to be an text excerpt of the binary spfile, but it
> has not the
> same format like a real text pfile.
>
> (3) What is the purpose of this backup file ? Could I restore this in
> case of
> emergency and how would I do this ?
>

> Thank You
>
> Joachim

You can make persistent changes to parameters (alter system set <parameter = <value> scope = spfile;) from a location other than the server. With normal parameter files, you have to be on the server and edit the parameter file. In RMAN, if you set controlfile autobackup on, then it is automaticly backed up.

The create pfile from spfile is usefull, if you want to start the database with temporary different parameters and use your normal server parameter file afterwards. Or if you want to make a copy of a parameter file and edit this copy for use with another database, for instance a copy of your production database as testdatabase. Received on Thu Nov 10 2005 - 12:14:16 CST