Re: FOR UPDATE WAIT

From: <sstetsen_at_gmail.com>
Date: 10 Nov 2005 08:00:54 -0800

Yes, we all know this way to emulate FOR UPDATE WAIT. Just to emulate, because using i.e. FOR UPDATE WAIT 5 a) we are PERMANENTLY trying to lock a resource up to 5 secs and b) we get "ORA-30006: resource busy; acquire with WAIT timeot expired" after 5 secs with no success.

The (a) is the most important point because your solution cannot resolve
the situation WAIT 5 = SLEEP(5) when we try to lock with no success and go to sleep for 5 seconds. During this time the resource could be released
and locked again many times. But we are sleeping...

No? Received on Thu Nov 10 2005 - 10:00:54 CST