Hardware VIP.

From: t538449 <kenneth.osenbroch_at_telenor.com>
Date: 9 Nov 2005 23:43:38 -0800

Hi, I have a 10gR2 environment consisting of two nodes both with an own 10gR2 installation (not RAC). They share disks and are intended to work as a standby solution.

I want to be able to use a common/shared listener for the solution, mening that all client connections use the same IP/DNS entry for the databases served by the node(s). I have checked this with Oracle, who recommends me to use a hardware VIP solution since I am not running RAC. This is a non-Oracle solution, hence they cant/wont give me a pointer in how to set this up.

The solution could be something like this: Server (node a) where the primary node is running has an IP address asssigned to it. Let say 138.3.33.33. You have a TNS listener running on the node a using this IP address 138.3.33.33. When a problem happends on node a, say a network or hardware failure then the IP address 138.33.33 is moved across to node b where you have a TNS listener configured and waiting to be started on address 138.3.33.33.

Does anybody have any suggestions on how to implement this?

Thanks,
Kenneth Received on Thu Nov 10 2005 - 01:43:38 CST