Testing 10gR2 x86_64 on Linux (CentOS 4.2)

From: Andreas Sheriff <spamcontrol_at_iion.com>
Date: Wed, 9 Nov 2005 23:24:04 -0800

Hi all,

I'm now testing Oracle 10gR2 x86_64 SE on Linux (CentOS 4.2 - Bit compatible with RedHat ES) using a single dual core (oxymoron?), dual processor capable (licensing issues) motherboard outfitted with 4 gb of memory, three dual channel scsi cards (Symbios Logic LSI53C876/E) connected to thee D1000's (Filled with 18.2 gb HD's) redundantly and cross-connected, using ASM and asmlib.

I haven't run into many problems. What I have observed I will list below. I was wondering if anyone else found any problems? Has anyone run ASM on top of RAID (software of hardware)? Any significant difference?

Problems:

    First test of diskgroup did not use faliure groups. Upon testing loss of a disk, Linux had a kernel panic. Reconfigured diskgroup (normal redundancy) and assigned each D1000 as a failure group. Upon testing loss of a disk, everything worked fine and ASM rebalanced, however, at the very end the disk state was hung. The disk had to be dropped (another rebalance) and readded (forced). Is is me? Or is there no official documentation specifying how to handle an ASM disk failure?

    Enterprise Manager would not install. Turns out the problem was with the /etc/hosts file. The system was originally configured as DHCP, then as static (different addresses). Unfortunately, the sysadmin wasn't aware enough to remember that he had made an entry in the /etc/hosts file to point to the DHCP address.

    This problem doesn't have to do with Oracle, but with the SCSI card. lspci shows the following:
***

04:09.1 SCSI storage controller: LSI Logic / Symbios Logic 53c875 (rev 14) Subsystem: LSI Logic / Symbios Logic LSI53C876/E PCI to Dual Channel SCSI Controller
***

Every time ASM accesses any of the arrays the following error appears volumunously in /var/log/messages and on the console:
***

Nov 9 23:04:23 oradb1 kernel: sym0:3:0:phase change 6-7 11_at_cf864b90 resid=2.
***

The bios has been updated.
Has anyone seen this? Or better yet, does anyone have a solution?

Thanks for any suggesting you may have.

--

Andreas Sheriff
Oracle 9i Certified Professional