QUESTION: Delimiting for use of a & in an insert

From: BD <bobby_dread_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 9 Nov 2005 14:48:49 -0800

Hi, all.

I have a need to insert a string value into a VARCHAR2(4000) field in Oracle 8i. The string value happens to be a large SQL statement in itself; the purpose of this is to record some ad-hoc queries for further use.

The string value contains the phrase 'WA & CA but no OR'.

When I do the insert in TOAD or SQL++ I am prompted for the value of 'CA' - obviously, it's interpreting that '&' character as an indicator for a variable.

I could change the '&' to 'and', but this is running into some business-level resistance; I have been asked to find a way to delimit the string such that the '&' character is inserted.

Any suggestions??

Thanks!!

BD Received on Wed Nov 09 2005 - 16:48:49 CST