Re: RAC performance and redundancy questions.

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org>
Date: Tue, 08 Nov 2005 22:31:37 -0800

Joe Weinstein wrote:

> silikon2_at_gmail.com wrote:
>

>> Hello. We are running a three node RAC on 10g using a NetApp FAS250
>> and three Sunfire 210 servers.
>>
>> I've got two problems I hope someone can help me with:
>>
>> (1) If one of the three nodes goes down, the other two continue to
>> operate BUT I can only select and update but NOT insert. The DBAs
>> can't really seem to explain this. My hunch as a software developer is
>> that this might be by design--- I could certainly see a case where one
>> might want to be able to select from their database if it were
>> partially functional but prevent writes until it was corrected. Is
>> this a configuration parameter or something?
>

> No. What is the symptom/error message when you try to insert?
>

>> (2) I've run extensive load tests on this database. I have a series of
>> transactions simulating a multiple programs from different system that
>> I am porting to this. The entire set of transactions is perhaps 20 to
>> 30 and I view them automatically for purposes of my testing. I can run
>> about 20,000 of these sets an hour from . The weird thing is, I get
>> 20,000 whether I run against all three nodes using load balancing via
>> tnsnames but I also get 20,000 if I run solely against any one node.
>> Does this seem normal? There's nothing expensive exotic about my
>> queries, just selects, inserts updates. I'm wondering if it's an issue
>> of contention of all the nodes talking to each other because I've
>> gotten similar performance on a 4 CPU single box.
>>
>> Thanks---
>

> To what extent are all the transactions altering the same set of data?

hpuxrac is correct ... you need to trace ... not guess.

That said ... who wrote the TAF code? Did they follow the model provided by Oracle in the TAF demo trapping for commit? If you are not sure you can get a copy of the JDeveloper TAF Demo program at www.psoug.org. Click on Resources. Click on Downloads.

--
Daniel A. Morgan
http://www.psoug.org