Re: wanted: a REALISTIC server recommendation

From: HansF <News.Hans_at_telus.net>
Date: Tue, 08 Nov 2005 20:13:02 GMT

On Mon, 07 Nov 2005 05:58:30 -0800, Brian wrote:

> Now, we're not looking to go cheap here. My problem is that our vendor
> recommends an HP ProLiant (which is fine) dual 2.2 AMD processors, with
> 16GB of RAM and an EMC storage device that starts at 450GB. Do we
> really need a 1000% increase in disk space and a 1600% increase in RAM?
> In my opinion, by the time this company actually grows to the point of
> needing this kind of performance, the infrastructure will be at the age
> where we'll be talking about replacing it.

Oracle Apps? Separating database from the apps machine and only looking at the database machine?

Ask your vendor to explain the 16GB of RAM. And if the answer is 'to get more of the database into memory' or any mumbling about 'buffer cache', fire the vendor. I'd be real hesitant to go past 4GB RAM and generally see little use for more than 1GB per CPU in a typical SMB environment.

Disk SHOULD be cheap these days. You can get 1/2TB (2x1/4TB SATA) attached to a computer for under USD$250, so going real fancy should not cost more than 50x that. What is the reasoning behind the EMC suggestion?

If you are looking at one machine to cover the database and the apps, then 16GB RAM is not unreasonable as you have a very seriously-weighted Application Server to feed as well.

I'd very seriously look at Oracle hosting (Oracle On Demand) and get totally out of this rat-race.

--
Hans Forbrich
mailto: Fuzzy.GreyBeard_at_gmail.com