Re: Oracle 10g Express, should just about kill the MySQL and Postgresql gang

From: Volker Hetzer <volker.hetzer_at_ieee.org>
Date: Tue, 08 Nov 2005 12:55:54 +0100

> It's the current MySQL- and SQLServer- experienced developers who will be
> simply too stubborn and too know-it-all to attempt to adapt. Those are
> the id*&%s that worry me right now.

Yes, and I think, oracle isn't (and can't) fully address that worry without sacrifycing a lot of business. But it *is* losing market share to a small and efficient system that has a small and efficient philosophy that somehow is okay for most small scale, lots of medium and even some big businesses. If they target MySQLers they ought to give away an oracle with no space or session constraints but user constraints.

 > You know - the ones who refuse to
> read documentation because they 'already know how to do it' - and then run
> around screaming how bad Oracle is because it doesn't follow their style.
> Do we really want Oracle to cater to them anyway?
Hey, yahoo and google "cater" to china. Maybe the mysql market is big enough for oracle that that style can earn money if they went for it?

Lots of Greetings!
Volker Received on Tue Nov 08 2005 - 05:55:54 CST