Re: Oracle 10g Express, should just about kill the MySQL and Postgresql gang

From: HansF <News.Hans_at_telus.net>
Date: Mon, 07 Nov 2005 17:37:37 GMT

On Mon, 07 Nov 2005 12:23:18 -0500, boobie wrote:

> Of course, 100% agree. and 100% obvious.
> But.....
> Please step OUTSIDE of the typical Oracle-centric ways of thinking for a
> sec,
> please step outside the Enterprise Oracle-DBA role for a sec....
> and think in the context of the "open-source MySQL/PHP" to understand what I
> was trying to say.

I DO understand what you are trying to say. Apparently you don't understand what I'm trying to say ...

I agree that people will attempt to use this based on their background. And when they find it doesn't work the way they expect, and think it's a pile of (*&%, what then?????

Which is better ... get them to learn how to use the tool within the way the tool was designed, or let them incorrectly conclude that it's a bad tool?

Oracle is taking an excellent approach to this - make it free to the organization that is giving the beginner Oracle classes. The next generation of developers. The ones who are trying to use MS-Access for a multi-user project.

It's the current MySQL- and SQLServer- experienced developers who will be simply too stubborn and too know-it-all to attempt to adapt. Those are the id*&%s that worry me right now. You know - the ones who refuse to read documentation because they 'already know how to do it' - and then run around screaming how bad Oracle is because it doesn't follow their style. Do we really want Oracle to cater to them anyway?

--
Hans Forbrich
mailto: Fuzzy.GreyBeard_at_gmail.com