Re: Backup and Recovery

From: pinupgeek <pinupgeek_at_gmail.com>
Date: 7 Nov 2005 06:26:25 -0800

Your db is in archive log mode so I'm assuming you want to go with a hot/online backup i.e no downtime,

I would keep things simple and create an online backup (rman or scripted) after every customer update.

You will be able to perform point in time recovery (also for your transportable tablespaces). You create an online backup for the entire database and not on a
schema or in your terminology customer level.

I would not try to create 'customer' backups, you could do this with expdp but you'll end up with a mess to administrate. Also exp(dp) is not consider a backup utility.

If you created a (transportable) tablespace per customer ( schema ) you're
all set to go, you will alway be able to start a scratch db ( with no user tablespaces ) and add the customer's tablespace(s) provided the owner of the object already exists on the target database (where you will plug the tablespace) , make sure it will get all the necessary grants by saving them before hand.

It's really not that hard, but it takes some careful studying,

it pays to read Oracle's documentation on this,

hth Received on Mon Nov 07 2005 - 08:26:25 CST