wanted: a REALISTIC server recommendation

From: Brian <barmand_at_amphenolpcd.com>
Date: 7 Nov 2005 05:58:30 -0800

We currently run Oracle Applications 10.7, Oracle 8 db. We are upgrading to Oracle Applications 11.5.10 with new hardware. We plan on running Oracle db on Red Hat Linux. My problem is with the hardware that our hardware vendor is recommending we purchase.

This is what I am hoping the people with real-life experience, with opinions based in reality, can give me: a recommendation on what we really need, not what our hardware vendor needs to sell.

I'll tell you all about our current environment in the hopes that you'll tell me what you think we should end up with server-wise. Our application and db live on an old Sun server, dual 366 processor box, has 1GB of RAM and we're using maybe 45GB of disk space (20GB test db, 22GB production db). At most we have 50 concurrent sessions, and figure we will add 5 sessions a year for the next 5 years.

Now, we're not looking to go cheap here. My problem is that our vendor recommends an HP ProLiant (which is fine) dual 2.2 AMD processors, with 16GB of RAM and an EMC storage device that starts at 450GB. Do we really need a 1000% increase in disk space and a 1600% increase in RAM?  In my opinion, by the time this company actually grows to the point of needing this kind of performance, the infrastructure will be at the age where we'll be talking about replacing it.

Thanks in advance to all of you willing to help with your suggestions. Regards,
Brian Received on Mon Nov 07 2005 - 07:58:30 CST