Re: Adjust AWE_WINDOW_MEMORY value

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org>
Date: Mon, 07 Nov 2005 04:04:27 -0800

Severin wrote:

> My job is very simple:
> 1. someone did buy any computer with 8GB, did choose windows 2003 and
> Oracle to runnig SAP R/3.

You have my sympathy but it is what it is.

> 2. I must do the best to use correctly those gigabytes of RAM. Then I
> will see if this 'More GB RAM' is better for Oracle and SAP R/3.

Why does having 8GB of RAM require that you use it? You might be far better off using less of it.

> I don't understand the decision of 1. because so much RAM could not be
> correctly managed with any 32-bytes hardware.

Your inability to understand someone else's decision making process, if there was one, should not affect what you do with it now.

> What do you mean about that?
> Anyone have some experience about that?
>
> Thanks for your response!
> Best Regards.

What you should be doing is using Oracle's internal instrumentation to identify the best settings ... not as Sybrand suggests ... throwing resources at a problem that so far you have not indicated even exists.

So lets go back to basics: What is the business problem you are addressing with this exercise? What specific issue is causing end-user problems? And how was it measured?

--
Daniel A. Morgan
http://www.psoug.org