Re: How to determine database market share?

From: dawn <dawnwolthuis_at_gmail.com>
Date: 6 Nov 2005 19:29:20 -0800

knorth wrote:
> Dawn wrote:
> >> It is difficult to know if the figure I have heard quoted of a $5
> billion dollar annual industry for the collective market of databases
> (not related applications) based on PICK (including U2) is anywhere
> close to accurate.
>
> The picture becomes clear if you check annual revenues and a few other
> facts.
>
> $5 billion annual revenue from Pick-style DBMS products, excluding
> applications, is not close to realistic.
>
> 1. Universe and Unidata
> VMark and Unidate merged to become Ardent Software. It's 1999 revenue
> from all sources, including ETL and data warehousing, was $160 million,
> $60 million of that was data integration software.
>
> 2. From Raining Data's 2005 Annual Report
>
> "Revenues remained stable for fiscal 2005 at $21.5 million as compared
> to $22.3 and $21.0 in fiscal 2004 and 2003 respectively."
>
> That's million with an m.
>
> 3. November 1993 interview with Dick Pick in DBMS magazine
>
> "Pick System has spawned an estimated $3 billion annual market of
> applications, enhancements, services and Pick-workalikes".
>
> Pick had 3500 VARS worldwide at that time.
>
> >> and just looked at job-ads, I'm guessing you would really miss the mark. There might be a similar situation for products
> like Cache', Berkeley-DB, and others.
>
> Akmal Chaudhri, who followed the object database market very closely,
> mentioned something like $100-150 million per year was the pinnacle of
> success for an object DBMS vendor.

Thank for the info. There is report from Database Trends and Applications magazine that I haven't paid for that might have a better figure. The other pick databases in addition to U2 and D3 are jBASE, Revelation, UniVision, and QM. But I think IBM claims 75% of the market today (which would likely be higher than 1999 since IBM has gotten D3 and other customers).

So, with IMS, Cache' & all flavors of MUMPs, U2 and all flavors of PICK, Berkeley DB and any other tag-value dbs, OO-dbs, XML-dbs, and all other non-SQL as the primary language databases, what percentage would you guess of the overall annual database market these have compared to the SQL-DBMS's? 1% 10% other?

Thanks. --dawn Received on Sun Nov 06 2005 - 21:29:20 CST