Re: Oracle XE - override prereq checks when installing rpm on linux AS 4.0

From: Steven Kondolf <skondolf_at_nospam.rochester.rr.com>
Date: Sun, 06 Nov 2005 14:39:00 GMT

On Sat, 05 Nov 2005 18:53:19 GMT, "IANAL_VISTA" <IANAL_Vista_at_hotmail.com> wrote:

>Steven Kondolf <skondolf_at_nospam.rochester.rr.com> wrote in
>
>> I have a small home-based Linux server running Redhat AS 4.0 that I
>> want to install Oracle XE on via the rpm downloaded from otn. During
>> the install via the rpm I'm told that I only have 250 megs of ram on
>> my machine and XE wants 256 minimum so the install aborts.
>>
>> Does anyone know if there's a way to bypass the pre-req check? I know
>> this can be done when installing Oracle via OUI but wasn't sure about
>> an rpm. I tried the --force option on the rpm command but that didn't
>> help.
>>
>> Thanks for any help given.
>>

>No promises but you might want to try -ignoreSysPrereqs
>Also I've heard a rumor that Oracle is aware & will drop the requirement to
>around 240MB to allow for PCs which have 256MB & a video card which takes a
>small amount out of the 256MB.

Thanks. I actually found a memory stick laying around and put that in so I now have 320m. Install then futzed up on not having enough swap so I built a temp swapfile and was able to get the software loaded, db initialized and connected via Firefox.

Now, do you have any idea if Oracle will build a "loader" program or use a special version of OUI that will allow installs to specify directories like the windows version? Sort of a pain that they install the entire app software and db for you and don't give you any way to specify where to put the "parts". I realize it's beta; I'll probably just stick to the windows version for now.

Again, thanks for the info. Maybe I'll post this question on the XE forum and see what info I can glean. Received on Sun Nov 06 2005 - 08:39:00 CST