Re: Oracle Taking Control

From: Chom Noamsky <chom_at_bomb.com>
Date: Sun, 06 Nov 2005 01:44:16 GMT

"Matthias Hoys" <idmwarpzone_NOSPAM__at_yahoo.com> wrote in message news:436ce15d$0$31619$ba620e4c_at_news.skynet.be...

> "Chom Noamsky" <chom_at_bomb.com> wrote in message
>> <takveen_at_gmail.com> wrote in message
>>> Good Morning Everyone,
>>>

>>> Just wanted to share my observation regarding Oracle. If we compare
>>> when Oracle 7 with what we have right now i.e. Oracle 10g. Its
>>> completely evident that many processes that were the headache of a DBA
>>> now controlled by Oracle automatically. Keeping in mind the flow/trend
>>> of development of Oracle software, I think may be Oracle 21g would be
>>> having everything automated and controlled by the Genie itself. DBA
>>> jobs would marely be develop the database only just like we do in MS
>>> Access. All maintainence would be taken care of by the Oracle Genie. It
>>>
>>> means less opportunities in Oracle DBA field eventually ...
>>
>> Welcome to progress... who the hell wants to be a DBA anywho? The less
>> of those weenies wandering around the better.
>>

> mmm ... who will take care of those 'i don't do SQL" Java developers then
> ? :-)

<grin>
As a senior Java code monkey and team lead, if posed with the choice of hiring one Oracle DBA at $80K per year, or two junior Java code monkeys at $40K per year, I'll hire the Java monkeys and train them to be admins and they will be as competent as necessary. The bottom line is DBA's cost a company money, Java developers make a company money, and no good database product should need a $80K per year "babysitter." </grin>