Re: How to determine database market share?

From: dawn <dawnwolthuis_at_gmail.com>
Date: 5 Nov 2005 06:32:57 -0800

knorth wrote:
> Dawn,
>
> Market share (pie charts) for the major database companies (2003 and
> 2004):
>
> http://www.sqlsummit.com/Trends/DBMSMarket.htm

Now show me the breakdown of how much of the IBM business is from non-RDMBS tools (that do not speak SQL as their first language) and how much from RDBMS's. And are you thinking that more or less than 50% of IBM's slice is DB2? I would really like to know that.

Where does mySQL fall in here when it doesn't take "market" the same way (depending on def, it isn't in this market, but if you are looking at the dbms market in order to work in a related area, you might want to know how much database activity is tied to it).

The questions I have about how much of the database market uses open source and how much uses non-SQL-based approaches are not answered by a chart like this nor by the suggestion of looking at position openings. Perhaps it does answer the question for the OP, however. --dawn Received on Sat Nov 05 2005 - 08:32:57 CST