Re: Beginners list

From: Joel Garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: 2 Nov 2005 13:54:37 -0800

>If you are telling me to "start

contributing", please, show me your contributions.

I wrote http://www.dbaoracle.net/readme-cdos.htm to try to help newbies to this group. Suggestions/corrections appreciated. Haven't put anything about blogs on it yet because they haven't totally settled down and I just haven't gotten around to it. I also have some ideas for dbaoracle.net, such as trying to capture information about volunteerism on the net in olden days and spotlighting people who like to help but (perhaps fortunately :-) have just been too busy.

http://groups.google.com/group/comp.databases.oracle.server/about and scroll down to All time top posters.

For that matter,
http://groups.google.com/group/comp.databases.oracle/about and look at All time top posters.

Since you asked. I generally don't toot my own horn about it, and wouldn't consider myself in a class with tkyte et al. Maybe I've misunderstood you, but that happens with sarcasm. I do feel the need to defend newbies as a defense of this group, and have no fear of anyone, even egomanial book authors who might stomp out of the group in a snit. I hope you are not one of those, you obviously have a great deal to contribute. In the end I'm just saying, Tom and Jonathan's ways of dealing with newbies should be emulated. Too much nastiness scares off a lot of people.

If I'm mean and nasty, it generally means I'm reacting to what I perceive as same (and standard spam is taken automatically to be nasty - the things you are saying are spam, we could argue about that offline if you care, my personal opinion is a little more liberal than the groups agreed position).

I've had a lot less patience with oracle-l. Every few years I'd sign up, get overwhelmed with mail, then unsignup. The digest is better, but if you see something in it then you ought to go look online to see if it's been answered, and the online interface isn't so great. It just winds up being too much of a pain or too time-consuming, so I've got 172 unread digests in that folder. Lots easier to meter cdos, even using the silly google interface (I still prefer slrn... but use what is consistent with local environments).

I also put up Oracle Server on google groups hoping to make a moderated cdos, but that never got going - I figured it would when cdos looked like it was going to explode, but instead everyone went to BBS's and blogs. Who'd a thunk?

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.
http://www.signonsandiego.com/uniontrib/20051101/news_1b1sempra.html