Re: Oracle Performance on V240

From: HansF <News.Hans_at_telus.net>
Date: Wed, 02 Nov 2005 19:51:01 GMT

On Wed, 02 Nov 2005 12:56:15 -0600, Tambaa Hapa wrote:

>> a) I've found that performance concerns are addressed first by good
>> application design (that it's not a simple cut 'n paste of a SQL Server
>> application) and proper memory management.
>>
>> You don't mention the memory available.
>>

> 8G

Should be OK. Just make sure you configure your SGA the right size - not simply to use all 8G. Too large a data buffer cache and oversizing the SGA can be just as bad as going too small.

>> b) With your config, it will be difficult to place the log files on a
>> drive other than the binaries or the data. Log file performance is a
>> crucial part of database performance. Log file protection is a crucial
>> part of database recovery and longevity.
>>

> Thanks. Didnt think about this one. But generally, we'll cut the logs and
> back them up as often as possible. Would it be better to have the logs on
> the drive with the binaries or data?

Are we talking about the same logs? I was referring to the redo log files.

>> c) What version and edition of Oracle are you using? If you have 10g
>> Enterprise, you can turn over monitoring and recommendations to the AWR
>> and ADDM. If not, plan on monitoring and tweaking.
>>

> Oracle 9.2.06

See if you can get up to 10G? It is much easier to administer properly.

--
Hans Forbrich