Re: Oracle Performance on V240

From: HansF <News.Hans_at_telus.net>
Date: Wed, 02 Nov 2005 17:26:43 GMT

On Wed, 02 Nov 2005 11:03:32 -0600, Tambaa Hapa amused us by writing:

> Hello,
>
> I want to deploy an application with Oracle backend on a V240. The server
> will have 4 internal drives; the first 2 will be mirrored and used for
> root/boot, application and oracle binaries. The other 2 will be mirrored and
> used for Oracle data.
>
> Has anyone run this type of configuration and have any feedback on
> performance?

From what I've seen, the V240 is a solid workhorse. The config sounds reasonable, but ...

  1. I've found that performance concerns are addressed first by good application design (that it's not a simple cut 'n paste of a SQL Server application) and proper memory management.

You don't mention the memory available.

b) With your config, it will be difficult to place the log files on a drive other than the binaries or the data. Log file performance is a crucial part of database performance. Log file protection is a crucial part of database recovery and longevity.

c) What version and edition of Oracle are you using? If you have 10g Enterprise, you can turn over monitoring and recommendations to the AWR and ADDM. If not, plan on monitoring and tweaking.

--
Hans Forbrich
mailto: Fuzzy.GreyBeard_at_gmail.com