Re: Why index Scan in this case ?

From: Js <jagjeet_malhi_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 2 Nov 2005 06:58:19 -0800

Thanks Peter,

Actually I could not clear my question. I know this is because histograms are not there.

analyze table t compute statistics
is equal to
analyze table t compute statistics for table for all tables for all indexes.

Whey you tried with histograms it pick the full table scan.

My question was : I analyzed table and index.

 Oracle knows the number of rows. -- Table Stats  Oracle knows the distinct no of columns - Index Stats

Oracle know that this table has 5792 records and 1 distinct value.

Anyhow index usage for all the would be costly.

Then y still oracle is choosing index scan ? Received on Wed Nov 02 2005 - 08:58:19 CST