Re: Cancelling a long running query

From: amogh <amogh.r_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 02 Nov 2005 14:09:18 +0530

Sybrand Bakker wrote:
> On Wed, 02 Nov 2005 12:22:16 +0530, amogh <amogh.r_at_gmail.com> wrote:
>

>>Can someone please suggest me how I could write a query which executes
>>continously (or recursively, to never return), using a table like EMP
>>(or EMP joined with DEPT if necessary).
>>

> Take two big tables, join them, leaving out the join condition.
> This will result in a merge-join cartesian.
> Merge join-cartesians usually peg the CPU, and take forever.
>
> --
> Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA

Thats the obvious way. Is there a way to write a "forever query" on simple, small tables ?

The reason I do not want use big tables with a cartesian product, is because it becomes too undeterministic when I have to cancel out the first query using a thread.(the sleep time between the threads becomes tough to determine acurately)

**It's better if I can write a query which never returns (never), even when executing on a small table**(so that the second thread has all the time to easily go and cancel the first) Is that possible?

Rgds.
Amogh Received on Wed Nov 02 2005 - 02:39:18 CST