Re: backup/restore

From: Joel Garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: 1 Nov 2005 17:27:59 -0800

epipko_at_gmail.com wrote:
> Hi all,
> How can I restore a whole backup into another location?
> In other words, how can I restore prod d/base backup into an EXISTING
> test d/base? I think there is a functionality that I am looking for in
> RMAN, but we are not using it.

As others have noted, you need to be a little more clear on what exactly you are trying to accomplish.

If you are just trying to move the data in a tablespace from prod to test, you might check out the transportable tablespace option. This may be less than desireable if you test schemata varies from production.

exp/imp is not good to rely on for a backup/restore solution, but it can be quite reasonable to move data to a test environment. I do it periodically for an app that has some extra requirements above simply importing, so I have a script that does it all for me, except I haven't yet bothered to script the "apply new changes" part, just manually apply those.

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.
http://daythink.vortex.com/rove-lyrics