Re: sor area size

From: HansF <News.Hans_at_telus.net>
Date: Wed, 02 Nov 2005 00:42:24 GMT

On Tue, 01 Nov 2005 16:25:57 -0800, epipko amused us by writing:

> Hi all,
> I am using Oracle 9.2.0.4 on Win 2003 server.
> How do I know if sort_area_size is properly configured?
> OEM shows that it's set at 1024 Kb.

This is not necessarily an easy one to answer - it can change by the minute.

Are you using automatic PGA management? Or do you have an environment where setting PGA_AGGREGATE_TARGET is not going to work, such as shared server in 9i?

If you can, use automatic PGA management. You will avoid having to fuss over the {SORT, BITMAP and HASH} _AREA_SIZE as well as the _RETAINED_SIZE and only need to set them if you need shared server or a specific switch (accomplished by setting the WORKAREA_SIZE_POLICY to manual for a while)

You may want to review Chapter 14 of the Performance Tuning guide to get details.

--
Hans Forbrich
mailto: Fuzzy.GreyBeard_at_gmail.com