DESIGN CLARIFICATION--Need Help

From: Scott <sivaraman55_at_gmail.com>
Date: 1 Nov 2005 09:27:16 -0800

Hi All
 I am involved in designing a application that need to move data from one of the tables(Say TableA) to Archive table (ArchiveA).  The process involves deleting the rows based on a condition and inserting the same into ArchiveA.
(let us say..when the status becomes 'Out of Stock' in TableA.)

 I can write a simple Insert into statement to insert all the records into ArchiveA, that satisfies
this condition and write a separate delete statement to delete the records in TableA.
 But what happens to Concurrency issues? Assuming that when I move the data to Archive Tables,the record count may be just 10 and when I delete the rows in TableA, the record count may be more than 10.
 How to avoid this situation? Can I use locking to prevent this from happening?

Thanks in advance for all pointers,

Scott. Received on Tue Nov 01 2005 - 11:27:16 CST