Re: backup/restore

From: Eric de Redelijkheid <ericdere_at_xs4all.nl>
Date: Tue, 01 Nov 2005 07:26:56 +0100

Anno Domini 31-10-2005 23:43, epipko_at_gmail.com sprak aldus:

>Hi all,
>How can I restore a whole backup into another location?
>In other words, how can I restore prod d/base backup into an EXISTING
>test d/base? I think there is a functionality that I am looking for in
>RMAN, but we are not using it.
>
>Thanks,
>Eugene

assuming you have a user managed backup
restore all of the datafiles in the location of your testdatabase and create a new controlfile. See the manual for syntax.

sql> startup mount
sql> create controlfile reuse set database <sid> etc. etc. etc.
sql> recover database using backup controlfile until.......; /* assuming
you do a "hot" backup */
sql> alter database open resetlogs;
sql> alter database rename global_name to ...; Received on Tue Nov 01 2005 - 00:26:56 CST