Re: Cannot locate Oracle Home after 10G installation. Getting ORA-12518

From: HansF <News.Hans_at_telus.net>
Date: Sun, 30 Oct 2005 13:03:57 GMT

On Sun, 30 Oct 2005 03:35:19 -0800, michel.kowalczyk amused us by writing:

> other versions. That is why I installed the listeners with the default
> parameters. I run only one listener at a time because they all operate
> on the same port. It was just installed to prove that an older version
> works well.

You only NEED 1 listener on the server, regardless of the number of database instances. It is normally configured to handle all database instances, as the listener will only be involved at the very beginning of the connection and then will get out of the way after it has told the client and database instance which port to use for communication.

The higher version listener will handle the lower version database instance, so running the 10g listener will allow access to the 9i and 10g database. (This assumes the base config has not been modified to disable that capability.)

Variations on this, of course, are in the docco.

--
Hans Forbrich
mailto: Fuzzy.GreyBeard_at_gmail.com