Re: Oracle on v40z vs Oracle on v490

From: NetComrade <netcomradeNSPAM_at_bookexchange.net>
Date: Fri, 28 Oct 2005 15:38:57 GMT

On Fri, 28 Oct 2005 14:15:11 +0400, "Alexey Sergeyev" <saefido7_at_devexperts.com> wrote:

>Hi Billy!
>
> Thank for valuable information. We also like more AMD, than anything
>else : ))). What boxses do you use (v20z/v40z)? What disk array is used as
>a shared storage? We are going to try StorEdge3510FC, cause we use them now,
>but not sure that these arrarys are 100% compatible with Linux (i mean host
>bus adapters - we haven't found any appropriate yet). It might be 3511FC.

If price is an issue, look into EMC's and Hitachi's of the world.. We've considered 3510FCs, and they're good arrays, but they turned out to be the most expensive, and not as scalable vs. the competition. But if you already have 3510FC knowledge in house, go for it, this is why we went for EMC vs. HDS. (EMC showed it was evil during 'conversations'). 3510FC's also have lower per shelve density. Also, 3510FCs were not supported on Linux by Veritas at the time we looked at them (6-7mo ago). Your reseller should be able to find out for you if there are 3510FC drivers. The 3510FC's are CLI purist's 'paradise' though :)

While researching/comparing arrays, i stumbled upon this too:

http://www.cuddletech.com/blog/pivot/entry.php?id=153

HTH,
-A

We use Oracle 8.1.7.4 and 9.2.0.6/7 on Solaris 2.7 and RH4 remove NSPAM to email Received on Fri Oct 28 2005 - 10:38:57 CDT