Re: Adjusting to DB2

From: Serge Rielau <srielau_at_ca.ibm.com>
Date: Fri, 28 Oct 2005 02:27:38 -0400

Mark Townsend wrote:
> Serge Rielau wrote:
>

>> Again this depends on what you consider immediate features of the
>> database and what is an application or tooling.
>> If you by DB2 for LUW and (before it became IBM) Alphabox.

> Serge - no one has a problem with applications or acquired 3rd party
> products. But even some of the 'extenders' cut close to the bone. For
> instance.

Actually, keep in mind the background of this thread when referring to "no one". We can talk reason to most, but not all. ;-)

> Geodetic Extender "an optional feature of IBM DB2 Universal Database",
> available on all platforms but requires the Spatial Extender.
> Spatial Extender "extends the function of DB2 Universal Database" but
> not available on Linux (surely there is some demand for DB2 here), and HP.
> Text Extender "closely integrated into DB2" yet not available on Linux
> XML Extender "A fully integrated component of DB2" that's only available
> on 32 bit platforms.
> Intelligent Miner "IBM's in-database mining capabilities" not available
> on Linux.
>
> Are spatial, text and XML not "immediate features" of DB2 ?
OK. Now we are down to a managable set here and I agree that these are "close to the bone" as you name it.
The days of the XML extender are numbered, no secret about it. Call it deinvestment into a tool that has served it's duty. While it's a sore spot right now, I take solice in the fact that XML can't complain of lack of attention in Viper, being buried deeper into engine than any other vendors XML.
HP... interesting question. DB2 customers move towards AIX, not away to HP (remember that open letter to IB?M). So while support on paper would look good, not a common one to run into. Maybe DB2 is playing hard to get ;-)
Linux: I can't argue that one.

So boiling this whole topic down the question is: How popular are those extenders. that's a direct function for limitations DB2 for LUW does or does not place upon customers within it's supported platforms.

Apparently not popular enough to cause IBM significant headache.... Being stoned once every six months or so in this newsgroup is my headache not IBM's. ;-)

Cheers
Serge

--
Serge Rielau