Re: Adjusting to DB2

From: Serge Rielau <srielau_at_ca.ibm.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Oct 2005 18:21:18 -0400

Mark Townsend wrote:
> So if a customer uses DB2 on AIX, with say data mining, and then decides
> they want to move to HP or Linux, they can't ? Isn't the right to
> migrate to another hardware platform part of the support fee for DB2 ?
I don't know. Do I need to buy a right to migrate? Again this depends on what you consider immediate features of the database and what is an application or tooling. If you by DB2 for LUW and (before it became IBM) Alphabox. You can switch amongst DB2 for LUW platforms easily enough without loosing any of thw DB2 for LUW features. Now Alphablox is a tool with it's own license (by an independent company at the point) and may or may not be supported wher you want to go.
Now that IBM bought Alphablocks and lumped it in with IM to becoem DB2 Alphablocks that does not make Alphablocks a "feature" of DB2 for LUW. This appears to be the crux of the matter. Oracle adds a lot more "features" to the core Oracle DBMS which IBM Information Management (under the brand DB2) runs separately. This is why I brought up (to noons excitement) Oracle Collaboration suite. It is branded under Oracle, but it is not an Oracle DBMS feature. The same is true for Intelligent miner, etc, etc... It has nothing to do with the codebase of the DB2 for LUW. It is important to note that DB2 is a brand and NOT a product. DB2 for LUW is a product, DB2 Intelligent miner is a product, ... but just like in Oracle the barnd itself gets defaulted by customers (typically to DB2 for zOS by the boomers and DB2 for LUW by the younger crowd it appears)
Whether these products get supported on any given platform is entirely up to the business case. Given where the server market shares are going DB2 for LUW is sold mostly on AIX, Windows and Linux (Sun and HP are not that big).
There is little incentive for an IBM customer to go to HP or Sun these days so there is little pressure.
Just, I might add, as there appears to be little pressure to bring some of the lesser platforms to Oracle 10gR2. Scheduling, resources, .... Basic MBA domains...

> And last but not least, is DB2 released for all languages at the same
> time, or does IBM stagger them ?

I know we used to classify into at least 2 tiers ("popular" and all the rest). Typically a few weeks apart. Not sure if this is still the case.

Cheers
Serge

--
Serge Rielau