Re: Adjusting to DB2

From: Mark A <nobody_at_nowhere.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Oct 2005 12:15:58 -0600

"DA Morgan" <damorgan_at_psoug.org> wrote in message news:1130389964.393150_at_yasure...
> Mark Townsend wrote:
>
>> Well - after a little bit of net sleuthing, I think I know a little bit
>> of Mark's background, and I do believe that he has a great deal of real
>> world experience with DB2 on the mainframe, at least. So I would think
>> that some level of professional courtesy is due (and it should be
>> reciprocal as well, of course).
>
> Given my complete trust in your research capabilities ... I will rescind
> my statement with the caveat that his experience is on mainframe DB2.
> Not DB2 on *NIX. Not DB2 on AS400. Not DB2 on Windows. And most
> certainly not anything having to do with Oracle.
>
> So how come he doesn't know what instrumentation is? The one decently
> instrumented DB2 implementation is the mainframe version.
> --
> Daniel A. Morgan

Although I do have many years of experience on DB2 for z/OS (since 1987), I am equally knowledgeable about DB2 for LUW (Since 1990 when it was originally called OS/2 Database Manager). I am an IBM certified DBA on both products. For the past 4 years, I have worked about 90% of my time as a DBA on DB2 for LUW, on every supported OS except HP/UX.

I also work some with Oracle 10gR1 (which is why I read this forum), but I don't claim to be an expert on that product. I have also completed 2 classed on Oracle taught by Oracle Education.

Daniel, on the other hand knows virtually nothing about DB2 for LUW from first hand experience. That is true even though he supposedly advices clients about the merits of DB2 LUW vs. Oracle. Anyone who has read his misguided posts on the DB2 forum knows exactly what I mean.

One can also clearly see what I mean when Daniel refers above to "DB2 on *NIX" and "DB2 on Windows" as separate products, when in fact, they are identical products (except when referring to drive path names). Received on Thu Oct 27 2005 - 13:15:58 CDT