Re: Adjusting to DB2

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org>
Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2005 22:09:33 -0700

Mark Townsend wrote:

> The porting teams at Oracle do indeed do their own QA. They also do
> their own install docs. If you look at the number of products supported
> on the number of platforms, it works out to about 2.8 heads per product
> per platform. Not really alot. I'm sure the DB2 LUW team has more than
> 2.8 Sun or HP engineers involved in their ports.

And next week ... on a billboard just off the Oracle campus in Redwood Shores we will likely see the following advertisement:

"Oracle does its ports with defective people. One out of three have only 80% of a head."

> And not to pour too
> much gas on the fire, but I think Oracle development has a great deal
> more experience in supporting a single code line on multiple platforms
> than the DB2 LUW developers do.

That's Ok Mark I'll do it for you. Perhaps because the fine folks that build DB2 don't have a single code line.

I'd like to see them do a simultaneous release of DB2 on mainframe, AS400, Windows AND all UNIX platforms. Until they do that the claim was pure nonsense.

Going to UKOUG?

--
Daniel A. Morgan
http://www.psoug.org