Re: Adjusting to DB2

From: Mark A <nobody_at_nowhere.com>
Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2005 12:06:13 -0600

"DA Morgan" <damorgan_at_psoug.org> wrote in message news:1130339862.824621_at_yasure...
> This is just window dressing. You notice that they conveniently ignored
> the mainframe and AS400 versions. No company releases every version at
> once except possibly Microsoft (one o/s only). And whether they do or
> not isn't worth enough to buy you a latte' at Starbucks.
>
> The point I was making was not that Oracle releases every platform
> simultaneously ... because quite frankly that is a zero value
> proposition ... but rather that MarkA's comment about how long the delay
> is at Oracle was a pure fabrication.
> --
> Daniel A. Morgan

It is not fabrication. 10gR2 was first released on Linux (but not 64 bit IIRC), and it will not be available on Windows for awhile according to my Oracle Tech Rep.

DB2 for series (AS400) is irrelevant to DB2 for LUW, since they are different products, not different releases of the same product. They do try and adhere to a SQL standard for DML (and to a lesser extent DDL), but beyond that they are different products. Received on Wed Oct 26 2005 - 13:06:13 CDT