Re: Oracle 9i on Windows 2003 (standard)

From: EdStevens <quetico_man_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 26 Oct 2005 10:53:50 -0700

epipko_at_gmail.com wrote:
> Hi all,
> I have a question about windows and oracle memory management.
> I've read some places that oracle can use more than 3G of memory on
> windows machine. Does the windows server has to be 2003 Enterprice
> edition for oracle to use more?
> This is what we have in boot.ini file:
> --------------------------------------
> [boot loader]
> timeout=30
> [operating systems]
> multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Windows Server 2003,
> Enterprise" /fastdetect /3GB /PAE
> Does the fact that we are not on "Enterprice" makes it NOT work.
>
> The buttom line: HOW CAN I MAKE ORACLE USE MORE MEMORY?
>
> Thank you,
> Eugene

The bottom line answer is "it depends on what you want Oracle to use the memory for."

When working with Windows memory managament, there are three things to look at. First, being a 32-bit OS, it can only directly address 4gb. Anything above that 4gb line is smoke and mirrors.

The second issue is that 3GB switch. By default, Windows will reserve half of available memory for itself and the other half for application use. Given 4gb of memory, Windows will reserve 2gb for itself and 2gb for apps. With the 3gb switch, Windows will release 3gb for apps and retain only 1gb for itself.

The third issue is tha AWE support. This allows Windows to start using smoke and mirrors to make memory beyond the 4gb line available to apps .... IF the app is aware of it and chooses to use it for whatever purpose the app desires. It is important to note that this does NOT simply create a flat and seamless address space beyond the 4gb line. The implication for the Oracle DBA is to realize the the ONLY thing Oracle uses this additionial AWE memory for is additional DB_BLOCK_BUFFERS. It DOES NOT create more room for additional PGA or UGA. See MetaLink notes 46001.1 and 225349.1 Received on Wed Oct 26 2005 - 12:53:50 CDT