Re: Adjusting to DB2

From: Mark A <nobody_at_nowhere.com>
Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2005 06:02:27 -0600

"Noons" <wizofoz2k_at_yahoo.com.au> wrote in message news:435F5D72.6040802_at_yahoo.com.au...
> Mark A apparently said,on my timestamp of 26/10/2005 3:51 PM:
>
>> Every release and every fixpack on all it's supported platforms. That is
>> because it is more of a single code base than Oracle on the Linux, UNIX,
>> Windows.
>
> Or because IBM delays its release on all ports to make it look so?
>
> Cheers
> Nuno Souto

I can't say for sure because I don't work for IBM. But they have released fixpacks every 3 months or so for the past 5 years. Version 7 went to 14 fixpacks, and version 8 is now at fixpack 10.

Given the pressures that DB2 has to "try" and catch up to Oracle in market share, it does not look to me like they are holding back release dates at all. They seem to under a lot of pressure to constantly introduce new features. I don't recall seeing many fixpacks that did not have at least some new features (in addition to fixes).

I suspect that they have isolated the OS code and internal DBMS code better than Oracle and can make changes to the internal DBMS code without regard to OS.. Received on Wed Oct 26 2005 - 07:02:27 CDT