Re: How to determine database market share?

From: HansF <News.Hans_at_telus.net>
Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2005 15:53:02 GMT

On Tue, 25 Oct 2005 08:24:28 -0700, DA Morgan interested us by writing:

> HansF wrote:

>> On Mon, 24 Oct 2005 22:41:42 -0700, DA Morgan interested us by writing:
>>

>>>I'm referring to CTOs and CFOs ... not teenagers.
>>

>> So am I.  Remember the saying 'No one ever got fire for buying ....'?

> I also remember the saying 'You want a hit ratio greater than 90%'.

And how does this fit into Market share? <g>

> Every crowd has its bell curve of people from moron to genius. I don't
> think we should cater to the left side of the curve.

If you are looking at the bell curve in terms of marketshare, risk and consciously going for the popular names (vs superior quality/technology) - look at the bell curve from the perspective of 'Gucci', 'Armani', 'Rolex', 'Ferrari / Porche' and the like relative to the [stereo-] typical CFO, CEO and CIO crowd.

What I'm getting at, in context of this thread, is that the decision makers are after minimizing risk (of failure, of being laughed at/talked about, of ...) and will often go for the popular, in spite of themselves. Some of these people, in ordinary circumstances, are quite intelligent, yet when they put on their C-level necktie ...

--
Hans Forbrich
mailto: Fuzzy.GreyBeard_at_gmail.com