Database Version Management

From: <egooli_at_gmail.com>
Date: 25 Oct 2005 05:19:32 -0700

Hi everyone,

A few months ago I've had several conversations with people on various forums about building an open source tool for database version management, a sort of source control tool for RDBMSes. I've worked quite a lot on it since then, and I think it's more or less ready to be tested by someone other than me.

The concept is simple. Our source control tools all support managing versions of text files. We want to manage versions of a database. So we need to represent the database as a text file and store it in the source control.
We'll also need the ability to generate an SQL script for a given structure and to compare two structures to generate a script that changes a database.

That is what Daversy does, or intends to do. There's a command line client, a provider for both Oracle and SQLite and both a tutorial and a wiki to get you started.

Daversy is not production quality yet, but I've tried to test it as well as I could on my own and it seems to be working.

I'd really love to hear your comments.

www.daversy.org

Eli. Received on Tue Oct 25 2005 - 07:19:32 CDT