Re: free development license. Is it in my case?

From: HansF <News.Hans_at_telus.net>
Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2005 11:39:36 GMT

On Tue, 25 Oct 2005 04:29:03 -0700, michel.kowalczyk interested us by writing:

> Hi,
>
> I am planning to use Oracle DB JDeveloper and Data Miner to build an
> application for my thesis, therefore for academic purpose. The app will
> be accessed through the internet by my supervisor. There is no
> commercial benefit from this application and the data is fake. After
> finishing my thesis the application will land in my archive file
> however the final version will resemble a fully functional app.
>
> I don't expect to pay for this product but does Oracle think the same
> or should I move to open source tools ??

JDeveloper is now free. Or rather, it has a production license cost of $0.

Database and Data Miner giving no commercial benefit? Answer this: if you had to stop using the Oracle product for 4 weeks, would there be any impact? If yes, and if you publish and if your facility gets any prestige from your publishing, is that not commercial benefit?

However, you will probably find that until you have set up everything for your analysis you are still in the 'development' phase and under the free development license. After that, you will probably be be able to use the Personal Oracle license which includes Data Miner. That is not expensive at all.

--
Hans Forbrich
mailto: Fuzzy.GreyBeard_at_gmail.com