Re: synchronization with heterogeneous tables and referential integrity

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org>
Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2005 22:46:34 -0700

Cris Carampa wrote:
> DA Morgan wrote:
>

>> Given that SQL Server is incapable of providing a point-in-time valid
>> view of the data how are you planning to manage an accounting
>> application between two very different database concepts?

> Perhaps my almost-zero knowledge of SS prevent me to fully understand
> your answer, but I was thinking about a night synchronization job. For
> my application is OK to "see" the accounting data the day after they are
> inserted into the accounting application. Can I assume that at e.g.
> midnight SS is capable of providing me a valid view of the data, giving
> that last accounting information is inserted into the system at 5:30 PM
> maximum?
>
> Thank you. Kind regards,

A midnight synch. will likely work if the system is not in use.

The issue I was referring to is that in Oracle you always get a consisten view of the data based on a point-in-time (System Change Number). In SQL Server that is impossible without locking every table in the instance.

--
Daniel A. Morgan
http://www.psoug.org