Re: Upgrade 8i to 9i --- multiple oracle_base !!!!!!

From: EdStevens <quetico_man_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 24 Oct 2005 06:10:32 -0700

Joel Garry wrote:
> Ed Stevens wrote:
>
> >11) Try as I might, I can't find current password files. And I see
> >we have remote_os_authent = true. ???
>
> This may simply mean they need to be created if you ever want to come
> in remotely.
>
> Regarding the separate installations, perhaps he was just hoping to
> eventually get another box and wanted to make that move easy.
>
> I agree with Frank about the exp/imp if possible.
>
> Ed, I think you may be the ORACLE_BASE expert on this group now! I'm
> not so sure I wouldn't want to just leave one of the 8i homes around
> rather than installing one fresh. Do you have disk space issues for
> the data?
>
> jg
> --
> @home.com is bogus.
> "According to the Judeo-Christian mythology, I've been created in God's
> image. Therefore,
> I'm a made God who should be distinguished from so called made men." -
> Mladen Gogala

Well, I doubt I'm the expert on ORACLE_BASE or anything else around here. That's why most of my postings are more on the line of this one -- "here's what I'm thinking .. am I on the right track?" rather than being as helpful to newbies as I'd like.

I could understand the multiple homes on this setup, but the multiple base really threw a monky wrench into things. I doubt if the DBA who set that up had really thought it through. We all have done things in our DBA careers that were really stupid, simply because our understanding at the time wasn't good enough. If the DBA who set this one up is who I think it is, I'm sure that's the case. He's reasonably compentent, but he does occasionally exhibit some blind spots, as I'm sure I do as well.

As for the case itself, I think disk space for an additional ORACLE_HOME next to the existing ones is less an issue than it is on the file systems holding the database files. I'm pretty sure I want to leave the db in place and use the upgrade assistant. Even though these are test systems, I do have some down-time constraints.

Another complication I thought of while in the shower (where most revelations come!) is file ownership. For the dev database (SPD01) the files are owned by 'oraspd' with a group association of 'dbad', while for the QA, ownership is 'oraspq' with a group association of 'dbaq'.

I just returned from a 4-day weekend, and have several things I need to go back and re-visit, with all of these new considerations in mind. I certainly wouldn't mind keeping the separate ORACLE_HOMES (to be able to upgrade one db at a time instead of going all or nothing) but still would like to untangle the mulitiple oracle base business.

Thanks for the input. Received on Mon Oct 24 2005 - 08:10:32 CDT