Re: Adjusting to DB2

From: Mark A <nobody_at_nowhere.com>
Date: Sun, 23 Oct 2005 17:55:18 -0600

"HansF" <News.Hans_at_telus.net> wrote in message news:pan.2005.10.23.21.10.32.314933_at_telus.net...
> On Sun, 23 Oct 2005 08:36:55 -0600, Mark A interested us by writing:
>
>> Since you are picking up an existing application, you only need to worry
>> about basic administration tasks such backup, recovery, reorgs, runstats,
>> etc. These are easy to learn and to perform.
>
> Oracle database traditionally comes in Personal, Standard One, Standard
> and Enterprise regardless of platform (notwithstanding the recent
> acquisitions). The feature differences for each are well documented in the
> New Features document appendix (Oracle9iR2 or lower) and the Licensing
> document (Oracle 10g R1 and higher). There are a few options, but most of
> the capabiliites and features are generally included across the board - as
> described in the above docs.
>
> Is there any counterpart document for DB2 for the uninitiated to
> understand where to turn? (For example, I really would like to find an
> equivalent to SQL*Plus or centralized all-encompassing management and
> admin tool like Enterprise Manager.)
>
> I note there are apparently a few more combinations and options than in
> Oracle, to the extent that I am confused. Looking briefly at the IBM DB2
> site for documentation (which is NOT easy to find), I note there are
>
> DB2 Universal Database Enterprise Server Edition
> DB2 Universal Database Workgroup Server Unlimited Edition
> DB2 Universal Database Workgroup Server Edition
> DB2 Universal Database Express Edition
> DB2 Universal Database Personal Edition
> DB2 Universal Database Universal Developer's Edition
> DB2 Universal Database Personal Developer's Edition
> DB2 Universal Database Data Warehouse Editions:
> DB2 Data Warehouse Enterprise Edition
> DB2 Data Warehouse Standard Edition
> DB2 Data Warehouse Base Edition
>

> and apparently there are options in various combinations (which *appear*
> to be separately priced, although it is not clear) as shown below:
>
> DB2 Connect Personal Edition
> DB2 Connect Enterprise Edition
> DB2 Data Links Manager
> DB2 Net Search Extender
> DB2 Spatial Extender
> DB2 Warehouse Manager
> DB2 Intelligent Miner Scoring
> DB2 Intelligent Miner Modeling
> DB2 Intelligent Miner Visualization
> Audio, Image, and Video Extenders
> Administration Client
> Application Development Client
> Run Time Client
> IBM Developer Kit, Java Technology
> DB2 Embedded Application Server and applications
> DB2 Mobility on Demand
> WebSphere Application Server, Advanced Developer Edition
> WebSphere Studio Site Developer Advanced
> WebSphere MQ
> QMF for Windows
> Information Management Tools - DB2 Web Query Tool, DB2 Table Editor, DB2
> DB2 Universal Database Database Partitioning Feature
> DB2 Cube Views
> DB2 Intelligent Miner
> DB2 Office Connect Professional Web Edition
> DB2 Query Patroller
> DB2 Warehouse Manager Standard Edition

> [...]

Here are the manuals in PDF format:
http://www-306.ibm.com/software/data/db2/udb/support/manualsv8.html

DB2 comes with GUI tools like the enterprise manager called the Control Center. The Command Editor is the closest to the SQL*Plus but many people just use the OS command line or DB2 Command Processor to run DB2 commands from the OS shell. The GUI's and all other clients are free.

There is a doc which explains the difference between the versions, but I don't have a link. If you post your question on the DB2 newsgroup, I am sure someone will provide that document. Received on Sun Oct 23 2005 - 18:55:18 CDT