Re: Oracle on AIX/Power5 LPARs

From: Glenn S <rgs2005_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 23 Oct 2005 16:58:11 -0400

On Sun, 23 Oct 2005 08:43:42 -0700, DA Morgan wrote:

> Makes sense to go to IBM P5 chips. But why pay two to three times as much
> for them (from IBM) when you can get the same chips from Apple for a
> fraction of the price?

Chips are one thing, the system architecture is another and the Apple servers are not comparable to the IBM P-series in the stuff that matters for a database server. Also, as has been said in another message, the P550 uses the P5 (P5+ in fact) which is the next generation CPU.

I'm looking at Sun UltraSparc and IBM Power5 servers for a Oracle application installation with about 150 concurrent users. I had considered the 4-way Opterons that HP has out, but the virtualization technology is not there yet on the Opterons (OK, VMWare, but no hardware support). IBM seems to be way out in front in this respect, but I'm not 100% convinced that it is viable as a single server installation even though the sales people assure me it will work.

On the matter of Sun, anyone run Oracle database or application server under the Solaris 10 containers?

--Glenn Received on Sun Oct 23 2005 - 15:58:11 CDT